Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Archbishop Daniel N. DiNardo of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has been named a Cardinal-designate by Pope Benedict XVI. He will be formally installed as a Cardinal at the Vatican on November 24, 2007 A.D.
Cardinal-designate DiNardo, currently Archbishop of Galveston-Houston, will be the state’s first Cardinal. He was appointed Archbishop of Galveston-Houston in February, 2006, making him the pastoral leader of 1.3 million Catholics in the Archdiocese. Texas has over 7 million Catholics.
This is a joyous occasion for Houston and Texas!
Basically, a Cardinal acts as an advisor to the Pope. In addition they also also participate in the conclave to elect the new pope. A Cardinal needs to be under the age of 80 to vote and Cardinal-designate DiNardo is well under that limit.
From the little bit that I know Cardinal-designate DiNardo may have extra functions that may take him away from Houston from time to time, but his Eminence will still be running the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston at full time, granted his personal time may diminish (if it hasn't already).
How did this all come about?
Now based solely on my limited knowledge of Archbishop DiNardo and the archdiocese, Cardinal-designate DiNardo did an excellent job during his six years in Rome, combined with his commanding orthodoxy of Scripture, theology, and liturgy, and his excellent communication skills all of which demanded attention from Vatican officials. So add this pristine background with the tremendous growth of the archdiocese (it's recent elevation from a diocese to archdiocese), Archbishop DiNardo's name had to pop up eventually when considering new Cardinals. Especially when Archbishop DiNardo speaks fluent Italian. That or the Holy Spirit had something to do with it!
I have had the pleasure to attend several Masses that his Eminence has celebrated plus I have also seen him interact with the laity of Houston after these Masses and I have to say I have not seen anyone behave so patiently wearing the full bishopric garb in Houston's atrociously humid weather. Patiently meeting everyone who lines up to greet his Eminence. He is very gracious and amicable, plus he has a very disarming smile to go along with his humility.
All in all it is a tremendous honor for Archbishop DiNardo and it reflects very well for the great state of Texas.
For more from the Texas Catholic Conference click here.
11-24-2007 Update: For complete news coverage of Archbishop DiNardo receiving the red hat click HERE.
11-25-2007 Update: For complete news coverage of Cardinal DiNardo receiving his ring click HERE.
Tags:Archbishop Daniel DiNardo,Catholic Church,Catholicism,Consistory,Daniel Cardinal DiNardo,Galveston-Houston Archdiocese,Little Rome,Pope Benedict XVI,Vatican
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- December (1)
- November (9)
- October (30)
- September (11)
- August (1)
- July (9)
- June (10)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (2)
- February (2)
- January (10)
- December (14)
- November (20)
- October (2)
- September (1)
- August (2)
- July (8)
- June (7)
- May (10)
- April (6)
- March (6)
- February (12)
- January (12)
- December (14)
- November (7)
- October (19)
- September (1)
- August (14)
- July (16)
- June (26)
- May (33)
- April (31)
- March (33)
- February (33)
- January (31)
- December (27)
- November (21)
- Catholic News-Wednesday, October 31, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, October 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, October 29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, October 28, 2007 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Saturday (10-27-2007 AD)
- Catholic News-Saturday, October 27, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, October 25, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, October 24, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, October 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, October 22, 2007 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Sunday Evening (10-21-2007 AD)
- Catholic News-Sunday, October 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, October 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, October 18, 2007 A.D.
- Daniel Cardinal DiNardo
- Catholic News-Tuesday, October 16, 2007 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Monday (10-15-2007 AD)
- Catholic News-Monday, October 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, October 14, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, October 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, October 12, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, October 11, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, October 10, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, October 9, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, October 8, 2007 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Sunday (10-7-2007 AD)
- Catholic News-Sunday, October 7, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, October 6, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, October 5, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, October 3, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, October 1, 2007 A.D.
- September (30)
- August (32)
- July (31)
- June (27)
- May (38)
- April (41)
- March (28)
- February (16)
- January (26)
- December (38)
- November (42)
- October (62)
- September (59)
- August (31)
- July (33)
- June (31)
- May (24)
- April (48)
- March (51)
- February (62)
- January (65)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation