Gloria in Excelsis Deo! Just before this happend me and a friend prayed a Rosary for the return of the Faith in Europe! For all the problems in Europe there is hope. The bright light of Catholicsm may be reduced to a dim ember, but that ember may just be enough to reignite the flame!
Here is an argument that may sound odd at first, but the more I ponder it, the more intuitive it becomes.
Years ago with some time on my hands, working in Riyadh, I began a genealogical hobby and was proud of the approximately 500 individuals, back to Jamestown and before, that I had discovered. I had seen how, not just arithmetically, or geometrically, but exponentially do the cousins and grandparents and branches and twigs grow into a tree, that were it to be taken back twenty or so generations would have encompassed most of the then population of the then Europe. This may be the core unconscious draw to genealogy.
It is this realization of the connectedness we constantly deny. We stop at a traffic light and are indifferent to the “relatives” in the car next to us. Or we haven’t a clue as to our relative who lives a few inches away in the next-door apartment. Or the very distant cousin who is the annoying salesperson we dealt with recently. It is this realization on which I’d like to weave this rather odd but encompassing argument – the argument that, to have the civil right of civil marriage forever denied to homosexuals, is abhorrent to the reality that all gays are from families and that almost everyone has a homosexual in their family (in fact with the new UK government survey that showed six percent in their population, we can assume that there are tens of millions of homosexuals in our American population). And it is consistent, rather than inconsistent, with not just family values but with “Tradition American Family Values”, that we do not undervalue any American and certainly not any member of our family. As we are all family in the truest sense.
Our founders used no word or phase more forcibly, more courageously, more passionately – then they did the word “we” and the phrase “we the people”. We are one large family – or should be. And a family would not act to deny the civil right of a relative they loved. They would want that person to have as full a citizenship as they have. And they would want the protections and rights and responsibilities to be equally assessable.
Ergo, in the most fundamental of fundamental arguments, traditional family values should rule the day. Certainly it would not be family values that would lobby to amend a constitution in this land, the primary aim of which was to prevent two heterosexual lovers who wanted to get married from getting married - and to thus effectively promote sex outside of marriage.
A note to the religious right. You have yet to provide one reasonable argument to describe in any believability how amending our constitutions will bring about a favorable change in your lives. And you have yet to acknowledge any damage this action may bring upon tens of millions of your blood relatives – if not in blood, certainly in the blood of Christ.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- ► 2007 (348)
- New Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Hou...
- Life Begins at Moment of Conception
- Pic of the Day
- ESPN = The Explicit and Sexually Perverted Network...
- Catechism Quote of the Day
- G.K. Chesterton Quote of the Day
- How Catholicism Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and We...
- Vatican Asks Muslims To Practice What You Preach
- Yahoo.com PC Police
- Catholicism and China
- ACLU Targets Ave Marie Town
- Pope Encourages Study of Latin
- EU Recognizes Missionary Slaying in Turkey
- Pro-Choice Fear of Engagement
- Mitt Romney Forces Catholic Church to Permit Homos...
- Amazon.com Top-10 Catholic Booksellers
- France: No to Homosexual Marriage
- Swedens Big Lie
- Houston Young Adult Ministry
- Joke of the Day
- Pope Quote of the Day
- Europes Next Move on Islam
- My Hope For a Cardinal: Fr. McCloskey
- Is the W.C.C. Still Relevant?
- Hollywood Vile in David E. Kelley
- Nicolas Sarkozy... Savior of France?
- Modern Day Christian Persecution
- Support Denmark Pic
- European Union Has No Values
- Cartoon of the Day
- Europes Demographic Implosion
- Protestants Decline Due to Abortion
- Pro-Choice Restraint?
- Liturgical Abuse Crackdown
- Pic of the Day
- Mock the Casbah
- Multiculturist Claptrap
- Turkish Muslims Strike Again
- Turkey: Anti-Christian Bigotry
- Media Hypocrites
- Cartoon of the Day
- Cartoon of the Day
- Pic of the Day
- Quote of the Day
- Priest Murdered in Turkey by Religion of Peace
- Betty Friedan’s Legacy
- CVSTOS FIDEI Update
- 'Religon of Peace' Kills Christians
- Justice Ginsburg's Anti-Catholic Bigotry
- Get Your 2006 Muslim Riot T-shirts Here!
- Tridentine Mass Update
- Religion of Peace Diagram
- Christian Methods vs. Muslim Methods
- Why Islam Has A Problem
- Quote Comparisons 2-3-06 A.D.
- Quote Of The Day 2-2-06 A.D.
- Pic Of The Day 2-2-06 A.D.
- What's Wrong With Islam?
- Christian Faith Strengthened By Blood of Martyrs
- San Francisco Court Strikes Down Partial Abortion ...
- Conde and Bible Update 2-1-06 A.D.
- ▼ February (62)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation