These are great photos (not bad for a Wal-Mart special.)
What I would like to know is how did you ever keep your attention focused on your classwork with a clear view of the beach so close and the sweet smells of the sugar cane burning?
Thanks for sharing these photos and tidbits of your childhood memories. This was a very interesting post.
I was in my final year in college when Iniki hit, but my family's house in Waimea took extensive damage. Took years to repair.
Yes, I grew up for 10 years on Kauai. I consider Kauai home and Kekaha & Waimea my hometowns. It was a great experience to say the least. Many of my friends now reside on Oahu, so I visit them often there.
I hope to move back, at least to build a vacation home for me and my family (parents). Plan to retire there unless I have a family of my own.
It was a tremendous growing experience to say the least. One of the few haoles that passes for a local lol.
Tito, would you believe one of our Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity just returned from St. Theresa's today amid snowy skies here in Wisconsin?! Sister Adrianna reported that all of our Franciscan Sisters are doing well in Kekaha. Mary Jean Buza-Sims is really doing a great job as principal. We are planning on doing some filming of our ministries in that beautiful oceanside location. I alerted more of my Sisters to your blog entry hoping that they would also leave a comment. Peace and all good.
Sister Julie Ann Sheahan,
Thank you for your kind comments. I surelly miss my school, island, and friends the most. St. Theresa (Catholic) School (or STS as we call it) is certainly needed on the island for the Catholics living there.
Let's pray for the continuous improvement of all the sisters and teachers there for the proper education and catachesis of all the children (keiki in Hawaiian).
In Jesus, Mary, & Joseph,
What wonderful memories! Seeing the pictures of St. Theresa and the surrounding area of Kekaha filled my mind and my heart with so much good. I spent five years there living and working with the wonderful people of St. Theresa Parish. What a blessing in my life that time has been.
I am Sister Myra Jean, one of the many Franciscan Sisters who shared the life of the people there. I came to love them and to appreciate the beauty of the life they live. There is a spirit of o’hana that still fills my heart. I am so blessed to have taught the upper grades. Memories of class trips, graduations, May Day Programs, singing with the adult choir, sharing faith during the Mass, are still vivid for me.
We experienced Hurricane Iniki together. There was many an evening that we spent with island friends who supported us through the loss of our convent home and our school. The difficult times just bound us more closely to each other. It is good to see and hear from the Sisters there that the school is doing well and the people are still so loving and caring toward each other.
I pray for the good of the people of the islands. I have a blessed treasure of memories from there. Mahalo to all those who helped to make that treasure so rich.
Sister Myra Jean
My wife, born Susan Chalmers, in 1947, believes that she was baptized in St. Theresa Church. Our daughter now wants her to see if the records of that baptism still exist. From your blog, I see that the church burned down, so records may be lost. Do you know how we can contact the church (without traveling to Kauai)?
Her father, Roy Chalmers, worked in a nearby sugar cane mill for a couple of years in the late 40s before moving permanently to California. His father, George Chalmers, was, I am told, instrumental in the erection of the first St. George's Church at Waimanalo.
Thank you for posting the pictures of the church.
Hello,I'm fr.Canada and I was in kauai Jan.22,2011.Went to tour the island with relatives.Went to see Holy Cross Church and had no time to go inside St. Theresa's.Thank you so much for your pics. I'll make sure to go in next time and say a prayer of thanks,hope in the near future.I'll also pray to GOD to keep away hurricanes coming to your beautiful island.Mahalo..dory..
Wow. I've been to this church many times. I also remember the old church. I remember when I was little visiting my grandma in Kekaha we would go to the Gym for church (temporary) in the 1970s. My mother grew up in Kekaha. a lot of memories.
I came across your blog, I like the photos and remembrance. I loved the old church, more character...and the school: beach, highway, and classrooms. I left Kauai years before the hurricanes hit, never went back (too busy, or so I tell myself)...but I still remember.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Catholic News-Friday, August 31, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 28, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 27, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 24, 2007 A.D.
- Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 22, 2007 A.D.
- Abortion and Religion
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 20, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 18, 2007 A.D.
- St. Theresa Church in Kekaha, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Friday, August 17, 2007 A.D.
- Danes Sorry for Looting and Pillaging
- St. George Church in Waimanalo, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 16, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 14, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 8, 2007 A.D.
- Vote For 'First Things' Magazine
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 7, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 6, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 5, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 4, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 3, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 2, 2007 A.D.
- Media's Double Standard
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 1, 2007 A.D.
- ▼ August (32)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation