Thursday, August 23, 2007
It's a question that many people ask during trying times. Many times the question is asked scornfully from the secular media to Christian leaders and followers alike. I tend to believe that those who strive to live a Christian life are attacked by the devil and his demons to try and make the Christian deviate from the straight and narrow path. I believe this to some extent because one wonders why those that aren't very Christian tend to be living the easy life. Probably because why would the devil bother with such people if they are already in sin and living worldly lives. Of course we shouldn't worry about this since Heaven is the ultimate destination. But still we do seek comfort from Him in difficult situations. My friend and I had this same discussion this past weekend and he shared with me Psalm 73. A Psalm of Asaph. 1 Truly God is good to the upright, to those who are pure in heart. 2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had well nigh slipped. 3 For I was envious of the arrogant, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. 4 For they have no pangs; their bodies are sound and sleek. 5 They are not in trouble as other men are; they are not stricken like other men. 6 Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment. 7 Their eyes swell out with fatness, their hearts overflow with follies. 8 They scoff and speak with malice; loftily they threaten oppression. 9 They set their mouths against the heavens, and their tongue struts through the earth. 10 Therefore the people turn and praise them; and find no fault in them. 11 And they say, "How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?" 12 Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. 13 All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence. 14 For all the day long I have been stricken, and chastened every morning. 15 If I had said, "I will speak thus," I would have been untrue to the generation of thy children. 16 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, 17 until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end. 18 Truly thou dost set them in slippery places; thou dost make them fall to ruin. 19 How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! 20 They are like a dream when one awakes, on awaking you despise their phantoms. 21 When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, 22 I was stupid and ignorant, I was like a beast toward thee. 23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee; thou dost hold my right hand. 24 Thou dost guide me with thy counsel, and afterward thou wilt receive me to glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is nothing upon earth that I desire besides thee. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever. 27 For lo, those who are far from thee shall perish; thou dost put an end to those who are false to thee. 28 But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all thy works. Amen.
0 comments:Post a Comment
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Catholic News-Friday, August 31, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 28, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 27, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 24, 2007 A.D.
- Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 22, 2007 A.D.
- Abortion and Religion
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 20, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 18, 2007 A.D.
- St. Theresa Church in Kekaha, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Friday, August 17, 2007 A.D.
- Danes Sorry for Looting and Pillaging
- St. George Church in Waimanalo, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 16, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 14, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 8, 2007 A.D.
- Vote For 'First Things' Magazine
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 7, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 6, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 5, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 4, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 3, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 2, 2007 A.D.
- Media's Double Standard
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 1, 2007 A.D.
- ▼ August (32)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation