Monday, April 28, 2008
Archbishop Wuerl's dereliction of duty is atrocious. His refusal to deny Communion to pro-abortion politicians as well as ignoring the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith's ruling of disallowing distribution of Communion to pro-abortion politicians borders almost on disobedience to Pope Benedict XVI's celebration of Mass at National's Stadium. Robert Novak in the New York Post this morning pointed this out of the heterodoxy on Archbishop Wuerl's position. Just because practicing Catholics watched House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senators John Kerry, Christopher Dodd and Edward M. Kennedy received Communion at National's Stadium during the Pope's Mass doesn't mean that it is o.k. to ignore Church teaching and mock our Catholic faith. Archbishop Wuerl invited all three pro-choice politicians knowing they would step forward to receive Communion in front of the Pope.
Vatican sources say the pope has not retreated from his long-held position that pro-choice politicians should be deprived of Communion, but the decisions in Washington and New York were not his. Benedict did not reiterate that position in Washington and New York, because a pope traveling abroad is influenced by the stance of local church authorities - and American bishops are divided. . . . Wuerl is averse to colliding with powerful laymen. He could have avoided any confrontation at Nationals Park by simply not inviting the pro-choice politicians to a mass where there was no room for the vast majority of Catholics who wanted to attend.In the fourth century A.D. Roman Emperor Theodosius was visiting the Bishop of Milan St. Ambrose. St. Ambrose remembered The Roman Emperor's crime of the willful killing of 7,000 rioting citizens. Because of this the good bishop asked the Emperor to repair his crime by an exemplary penance. With "religious humility", says St. Augustine (De Civ. Dei., V, xxvi), Theodosius submitted; "and, being laid hold of by the discipline of the Church, did penance in such a way that the sight of his imperial loftiness prostrated made the people who were interceding for him weep more than the consciousness of offence had made them fear it when enraged". "Stripping himself of every emblem of royalty", says Ambrose in his funeral oration (c. 34), "he publicly in church bewailed his sin. That public penance, which private individuals shrink from, an Emperor was not ashamed to perform; nor was there afterwards a day on which he did not grieve for his mistake." The three pro-abortion politicians that Archbishop Wuerl willfully invited, those three that have been participants in the greatest slaughter of unborn innocent children clearly have not learned the grave mortal sins they are creating with their legislation. Archbishop Wuerl is clearly no St. Ambrose when he cannot himself even keep pro-abortion politicians from receiving Communion much less be an example of a good shepherd to his flock. For Robert Novak's New York Post article click here. For the Catholic Encyclopedia entry on St. Ambrose click here.
Tags:2008 US Papal Visit,abortion,Archbishop Wuerl,Christopher Dodd,Evangelium Vitae,John Kerry,Nancy Pelosi,Pope Benedict XVI,Sacrament of Communion,St. Ambrose,Ted Kennedy
Connie Vuong said...
great post, Tito
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- Archbishop Wuerl Is No St. Ambrose
- Catholic News-Rogation Sunday 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, April 25, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, April 24, 2008 A.D.
- The Truth About Obama
- Catholic News-Wednesday, April 23, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, April 22, 2008 A.D.
- Should We Ask for Bill Maher's Head?
- More Catholic News-Monday (4-21-2008 A.D.)
- Catholic News-Monday April 21, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday April 20, 2008 A.D.
- Papal News-Sunday, April 20 2008 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Friday, April 18, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday April 18, 2008 A.D.
- More Catholic News-Thursday (4-17-2008 A.D.)
- Catholic News-Thursday, April 17, 2008 A.D.
- Custos Fidei 2.0 . . .
- Catholic News-Wednesday, April 16, 2008 A.D.
- Pope Benedict and Obama's Bitter Comments
- Discernment and the Holy Spirit
- Beware the Believers
- Catholic News-Sunday, April 6, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday April 5, 2008 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, April 4, 2008 A.D.
- 2008 Beijing Olympics Promotional Poster
- More Catholic News-Thursday (4-3-2008 A.D.)
- Catholic News-Thursday, April 3, 2008 A.D.
- Extra Catholic News-Wednesday (4-2-2008 AD)
- More Catholic News-Wednesday (4-2-2008 AD)
- Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral Dedication News
- Catholic News-Wednesday, April 2, 2008 A.D.
- ▼ April (31)
- ► 2007 (348)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation