"If you don't want an abortion, you don't believe in it, [then] don't have one."
Yes, the Church emphasizes the sanctity of life, but it does so in a way that is holistic, constantly affirming the dignity of the human person. This means that all issues of justice are interrelated and it is imperative that our opposition to the evil of abortion also extend to matters of economics and war. Just look to the "Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church" (available on the Vatican website) to see that all matters of social justice should be addressed by Catholics
Yes I agree. Some Catholics, unfortunately, believe that the government should run our lives by taxing us to death in order to support bloated government social programs.
Jesus said we shall always have the poor.
We as Catholics are called to help our lesser brother and sisters, if we have the government do this for us, we are denied the everlasting grace from God for these actions.
Plus it further provides the governments encrouchment on our lives to tell us what to do and how to do it, is that what you want?
I'm in complete agreement with you on not the government encroaching on our lives.
Yes we will always have the poor, but the way to change things is to work from the smallest units (the Church's principle of subsidiarity) to transform the culture of death. It is exactly for this reason that we should be wary of ideas like the welfare state, just as we should listen to Church's criticism of unrestrained capitalism.
Interestingly, this approach has largely been forgotten by most Catholics, trapped as we are by partisan politics. The only thinkers (other than Pius IX, Leo XIII, Pius XII, Paul VI, John Paul II, Benedict XVI) who have seriously discussed subsidiarity are G.K. Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc, Fr. Vincent McNabb and, following in their footsteps, Dorothy Day.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- An Angel in St. Peter's Basilica?
- Matrimonial Looniness
- Idem Velle Idem Nolle
- Catholic Convert Aimee Milburn
- Liberation Theology
- Homosexuality is Immoral
- The Quiet Man --Marriage Scene
- Irish #1!... in Binge Drinking
- When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey. When I drin...
- Pope to Guiliani: Abortion 'Non-Negotiable'
- Fr. Euteneuer Cartoon
- Shamrock Day?
- Dear Catholic Blogosphere: No On Rudy Giuliani
- Public Heretic #1
- New Blog: Recapturing Our Catholic Patrimony
- Lenten Meme
- St. Dorothy Day
- 300: Is President Bush King Leonidas?
- Rudy Giuliani Supports Killing Babies
- Action in Prayer!
- Two America's
- Into Great Silence
- Nancy Pelois and Slaves
- What's Wrong With Hip Hop?
- Christian Names
- The Hatred of Christianity by Liberals
- ▼ March (28)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation