Friday, August 17, 2007
The Danes are sorry for looting and pillaging the Irish back when they were known as Vikings. This article by the Sydney Morning Herald says:
MORE than 1200 years ago hordes of bloodthirsty Viking raiders descended on Ireland, pillaging monasteries and massacring the inhabitants. On Wednesday, one of their more mild-mannered descendants stepped ashore to apologise. The Danish Minister for Culture, Brian Mikkelson, who was in Dublin to celebrate the arrival of a replica Norse longboat, apologised for the invasion and destruction inflicted. "In Denmark we are certainly proud of this ship but we are not proud of the damage to the people of Ireland that followed in the footsteps of the Vikings," Mr Mikkelson declared in his welcoming speech delivered by the River Liffey.Nice. The Anglo-Saxon St. Willibrord followed by the Frankish St. Ansgar (Ansgarius) arrived in Denmark in 725 A.D. and began the slow process of Christianizing my warlike Norman ancestors. I for one am very thankful that my ancestors, those that arrived with King Rollo and later led by William the Conqueror, were converted to Christianity. Now on my mother's side my family is still awaiting an apology from the government of Saudi Arabia for invading, colonizing, and enslaving my Visigothic ancestors for 700+ years in the Iberian peninsula. Thank goodness, through the intercession of Santiago, that the Catholic monarchs and the Reconquista were able to free my mother's family from the bondage of Islam. ¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Tags:Ansgarius,Catholicism,christianity,Denmark,islam,Jihad,King Rollo,Normans,Reconquista,Santiago,saudi arabia,Spain,St. Anschar,St. Ansgar,St. Willibrord,Vikings,William the Conqueror
0 comments:Post a Comment
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Catholic News-Friday, August 31, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 28, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 27, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 24, 2007 A.D.
- Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 22, 2007 A.D.
- Abortion and Religion
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 20, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 18, 2007 A.D.
- St. Theresa Church in Kekaha, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Friday, August 17, 2007 A.D.
- Danes Sorry for Looting and Pillaging
- St. George Church in Waimanalo, Hawaii
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 16, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 14, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 8, 2007 A.D.
- Vote For 'First Things' Magazine
- Catholic News-Tuesday, August 7, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, August 6, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sunday, August 5, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, August 4, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, August 3, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Thursday, August 2, 2007 A.D.
- Media's Double Standard
- Catholic News-Wednesday, August 1, 2007 A.D.
- ▼ August (32)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation