"embarrassing, maudlin and sentimental dirges"I agree wholeheartedly. The Mass represents Jesus' sacrifice, not a rock concert. I try my charitable best to explain this to many of my guitar strumming friends, but they either don't understand what the Mass is all about, or they defend their music telling me it isn't outlawed. It's like saying I can stick my wet hand near a hot electrical wire because it isn't against the law. MacMillan, who wrote the fanfare to the opening of the Scottish Parliament, goes on:
"screaming microphones" and "incompetently strummed guitars and cringe-making, smiley, cheesy foil groups"... ..."Cultural Vandalism"To describe what passes for Church music these days during Mass. Here is what MacMillan advocates:
"An authentic updating of sacred music cannot take place except in the wake of the great tradition of the past, of Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony."Amen. For more on this great article click here.
I would agree that cheesy and poorly-executed guitar music is gratingly bad. And a full-on rock concert indeed has no place in the Mass.
But at the church I attend, one of the Masses that is offered is led in music by a very talented young guitarist with an amazing voice and an absolutely incredible skill with her chosen instrument. The music is not overbearing, nor could it be described as "cheesy" at all...it is, indeed, a fair shake more reverent than our new pianist (who plays at the other Masses over the weekend) is capable of.
To be sure, I prefer the unobtrusive and reverent way Karen plays guitar to the blaring organ.
I wonder, thus, where the issue ultimately lies: in the guitar, or the selected music itself.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- ► 2007 (348)
- Gone in 60 Seconds with Sphinx
- More Support for the Tridentine Mass
- From the Front Lines
- Bright Sun
- Monastery Reality Show
- Simpsons: Catholic Heaven vs. Protestant Heaven
- Michael J. Fox vs. Unborn Children
- The Husband’s Duties in the Home
- U. of St. Thomas (Houston) Gains National Ranking
- Praying for an End to Abortion in Houston
- The Beginning of the End for Europe
- The Mystery of Fatherhood
- Bishop Olmsted Shames Orthopraxy Bishops
- Missouri: Vote 'NO' on 2
- Egyptian Imprisoned for Converting to Christianity...
- 12 Questions Catholic Should Be Able to Answer
- BBC Admits to More Anti-Christianity Coverage
- Houston's Abortion Front Lines
- Four Little Words Meme
- Missouri to Vote on Nazi Eugenics Law
- Europe Needs to Return to Their Christian Roots
- Spinal Growth Opportunities for the USCCB
- ASA Rejects Anti-Christian Defamation Allegation
- Jesus Protects Buffalo Family
- Stewardess Suspended for Wearing Cross
- Russian Christians Impact in Sacramento
- France Outlaws Denial of The Armenian Genocide
- Churchill on Islam
- Baptists, Catholics, and Jews, Oh My!
- Toddlers Galore!
- Almost Friday
- Priests Rebel Against Cardinal Egan
- Keep The (Catholic) Faith
- All Saints Day Meme
- A Lazy Wednesday
- Pope To Meet Top Turkish Muslim Cleric
- Pope Benedict XVI Rumored to Ease Latin Mass Restr...
- Devon Rivers Awakes From Permanent Vegetative Stat...
- Bigger Families Returning?
- Liberals and Their Hypocrisy
- Islamic Philosophical Thought
- What Do The Nazi's and Planned Parenthood Have in ...
- How We Must Follow Christ's Way of the Cross in Se...
- Belief and Understanding by St. Augustine
- BBC Admits Anti-Pope Bias
- Victim of Columbine Speaks Out
- The French Intifada
- Colbert on the Pope's Speech
- YouTube Cowers to CAIR
- Turkish Hijacker Is Christian, Seeking Pope's Inte...
- On the Corruption of Nature, and the Power of Grac...
- Iran: The Family of a Martyred Christian Arrested
- The NAB Leans Pro-Abortion?
- Statue of Virgin Mary Attacked
- 25 Worst Websites by PC World: #1 MySpace.com
- Who Brought The Cat?
- 40 Days For Life
- Free Bibles, The Horror!
- Mass Music: Cheesy Foil Groups
- BBC Documentary Bashes the Church
- The Liberal Jesus
- Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue
- ▼ October (62)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation