Monday, April 9, 2007
I've been wanting to do this more often since it seems to inflame the Catholic blogosphere almost weekly, so here is my roundup of motu proprio news for the Easter season. 1. Libero (Italian), April 8: Lego Latin quisquam? Tito: Marcello Veneziani wrote this editorial entirely in Latin. I first tried to translate it via Google. After Google translated it I began reading the editorial and noticed it was completely in Latin. I thought Google's translater was broken, but alas, Google can't translate Latin into English apparently. Father John Zuhlsdorf did a nice review for us all below. 2. Fr. Z, April 7: Father John Zuhlsdorf reviews the Libero article and emphasizes the importance of the motu proprio representing a larger battle on several levels between the Tridentine and anti-Tridentine groups of where the Church will head into. Tito: My opinion is that we are seeing several important internal conflicts being resolved in consolidating the Church from within. One of these is that Church orthodoxy will be maintained via the reforming of the reform of Vatican II. The motu proprio, along with Sacramentum Caritatis, will consolidate these internal forces and help in the new reevanglization of the Church towards the West. 3. The New Liturgical Movement, April 8: Shawn Tribe ascribes the undercurrent of opposition to the allegedly impending motu proprio as a representative of the rivalries within Catholicism such as the heterodox vs orthodox. Tito: I certainly agree that there is strong internal opposition to this, hence why it is a motu proprio, ie, a papal bull without outside input. 4. Mercy and Mary, April 7: This Steubenville priest seems indifferent to the alleged release of the motu proprio. Tito: I'm not sure why he bothered to even touch on the motu proprio since he had nothing to contribute except a nonchalant 'shrug'.
5. The Lair of the Catholic Cavemen, April 8: Vir Speluncae Catholicus vents his feelings of impatience on the allegedly impending release of the motu proprio.
Tito: Mine exactly.6. HuliQ.com, April 5: Cardinal Bertone chastized the Western media for interpreting news releases by the Vatican with secular (read: liberal) slants. He went on to say that the impending motu proprio will make the Tridentine Mass more accessible to the laity. He declined to state a timetable for the release of the motu proprio.
However, he did confirm that Pope Benedict will give a public explanation for the document, in which the Pontiff will explain his vision for the use of the old Missal.Tito: Nothing new here with the exception that no timetable will be discussed by the Vatican for the release of the motu proprio. One interesting note on my part is why is the Vatican not setting a release date for such an important document? It may mean nothing, but it may also give weight to the rumors of internal divisions within the Vatican opposing any liberalization of the practice of the Tridentine Mass (again with the internal divisions, this is becoming a theme). Nice to see a full explanation by his Holiness for the substance of the motu proprio. 7. First Things, April 3: Joseph Bottum touches on the Le Figaro and Catholic News Service reports of the motu proprio then reveals the hypocrisy of liberals such as Cathy Kaveny of Notre Dame that pooh pooh's the motu proprio. Tito: Isn't it interesting that liberals today can only say 'no' to anything orthodox in almost any sphere of life. Kind of the inverse of the incorrect perspective of a Catholic saying 'no' to anything such as sex and fun. For my last three motu proprio postings click here, here, and here. UPDATED: For the latest news on the motu proprio for the week of April 16 click here.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Mainline churches failing to hold the line
- Catholic News-Monday, April 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sat/Sun, April 28/29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic Ireland Suicide Watch-Threatdown
- Founders Spin- CA says no to kin- and let's hope t...
- Catholic News-Friday, April 27, 2007 A.D.
- Tommy, an Atheist's Journey to God
- Moving On Up . . . And Up
- Catholic News-Thursday, April 26, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, April 25, 2007 A.D.
- Bishop Aymond's Scandal: Baby Emilio
- Culture of Death Returns to Mexico (for the time b...
- Custos Fidei's Newest Blogger, Fidei Defensor
- Catholic News for Tuesday, April 24, 2007 A.D.
- Colbert to French Socialists, "Ils ne passeront pa...
- Bill Cork Moving On
- Catholic News for Monday, April 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News for Sunday, April 22, 2007 A.D.
- Pray for The Eldest Daughter
- Redemptive Suffering and Virginia Tech
- New Blogs I Enjoy
- 3.4 Million Attended Papal Audiences in Pope's 2nd...
- Supreme Court Upholds Partial Birth Abortion Ban -...
- No Surprise- VA Killer was an anti-Catholic bigot
- Giuliani Tells Me To Get Over Abortion
- Shooting in VA
- Pontifications Blog Back Up!
- Motu Proprio Weekly Roundup for April 16
- Good Habits
- Why Am I Catholic?
- Susan Jacoby's Ignorance
- Christianity Officially Illegal in Saudi Arabia
- 6 Million Muslims Converts to Christianity
- Motu Proprio Weekly News Roundup for April 9
- Pontifications Blog Hacked?
- Easter in St. Peter's Square
- Pope Helps in Release of Iranian Hostages
- Easter Bunny Spotted in Sumatra
- Christianity Rises in the Modern World
- America's Chamberlain: Peace in Our Time
- What is a Motu Proprio?
- ▼ April (41)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation