He also appeared to indicate that the Republican Party won't gain supporters if it retains its pro-life position. "Our party is going to grow, and we are going to win in 2008 if we are a party characterized by what we're for, not if we're a party that's known for what we're against," he said. However, the GOP has nominated pro-life presidential candidates in every race since 1980 and it has won five of the seven contests -- all against pro-abortion Democrats.
Polls have also shown that abortion is a winning issue for GOP presidential candidates.Post-election polling after the 2004 presidential elections found that President Bush's pro-life stance gave him an edge over pro-abortion Sen. John Kerry. A 2004 Wirthlin Worldwide post-election poll found that 42 percent of voters said abortion affected the way they voted for president. Twenty-four percent of voters cast their ballots for President Bush while 15% voted for Kerry, giving Bush a 9 percent advantage on the issue of abortion. Eight percent of voters in the Wirthlin poll indicated abortion was the "most important" issue affecting their votes and Bush won among those voters by a six to two percent margin, leading Kerry by four percentage points among the most intense abortion voters.Well just like the boycott of Ford, Mayor Giuliani's stance on abortion has been hurting his polling numbers. I predict it will end his presidential campaign, much to notorious cafeteria Catholic chagrin Mr. Hannity. For disclosure sake I am not a registered Republican, I am an independent. Above all else, I am a Christian first. For Mayor Giuliani telling Americans to get over abortion click here. To read how his stance is hurting his polling numbers click here. For Pope Benedict XVI stating that Catholics cannot be Catholic AND support abortion click here. For a previous posting of mine stating not to vote for Mayor Giuliani and why click here and here.
One small point Tito. There is no such thing as a "Registered Republican" or for that matter a "Registered Democrat" in Texas. Your voter registration card is stamped that when you chose to vote in the primary. If you chose not to vote in the primary, then you are considered independent, even if you vote straight ticket R or D in the general election and have done so since the time of FDR because nobody can tell who voted straight ticket (hence the concept of secret ballots).
Completely off topic I know, but it is a sore point with me. Please carry on.
Thanks for pointing that out. I always wondered what that meant in Texas. I'm still in an Arizona state of mind, but need to Texify myself after three years.
Thanks for the Supreme Court update, I just made a new posting on that.
A victory for children everywhere!
Little by little indeed.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Mainline churches failing to hold the line
- Catholic News-Monday, April 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Sat/Sun, April 28/29, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic Ireland Suicide Watch-Threatdown
- Founders Spin- CA says no to kin- and let's hope t...
- Catholic News-Friday, April 27, 2007 A.D.
- Tommy, an Atheist's Journey to God
- Moving On Up . . . And Up
- Catholic News-Thursday, April 26, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Wednesday, April 25, 2007 A.D.
- Bishop Aymond's Scandal: Baby Emilio
- Culture of Death Returns to Mexico (for the time b...
- Custos Fidei's Newest Blogger, Fidei Defensor
- Catholic News for Tuesday, April 24, 2007 A.D.
- Colbert to French Socialists, "Ils ne passeront pa...
- Bill Cork Moving On
- Catholic News for Monday, April 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News for Sunday, April 22, 2007 A.D.
- Pray for The Eldest Daughter
- Redemptive Suffering and Virginia Tech
- New Blogs I Enjoy
- 3.4 Million Attended Papal Audiences in Pope's 2nd...
- Supreme Court Upholds Partial Birth Abortion Ban -...
- No Surprise- VA Killer was an anti-Catholic bigot
- Giuliani Tells Me To Get Over Abortion
- Shooting in VA
- Pontifications Blog Back Up!
- Motu Proprio Weekly Roundup for April 16
- Good Habits
- Why Am I Catholic?
- Susan Jacoby's Ignorance
- Christianity Officially Illegal in Saudi Arabia
- 6 Million Muslims Converts to Christianity
- Motu Proprio Weekly News Roundup for April 9
- Pontifications Blog Hacked?
- Easter in St. Peter's Square
- Pope Helps in Release of Iranian Hostages
- Easter Bunny Spotted in Sumatra
- Christianity Rises in the Modern World
- America's Chamberlain: Peace in Our Time
- What is a Motu Proprio?
- ▼ April (41)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation