Monday, May 7, 2007

Into Great Silence, Now Playing in Houston

The Reviews are in!: "Exhilarating Holiness!" --Tito of Custos Fidei "Non-stop edge-of-your-seat white-knuckled SANCTITY!" --Ben of Joey Honey!* That's the words I use to describe this moving film about devout Christians in their journey towards closer union with God. Into Great Silence, a documentary movie of the lives of Carthusian monks in the French Alps monastery of the Grand Charteuse, is a film by Philip Groning. I've posted twice about this move within the last two years and now it has finally arrived here in the United States. I found out it is playing at the Angelika Film Center in downtown Houston and got a group of friends together to view the film after Mass this past Sunday. Everyone had much more rave(-r) reviews than I had. I don't want to build it up too much, but if you love your faith and want to experience another aspect of Christianity, especially in a contemplative environment, I would strongly suggest you go watch this. It is playing until Sunday of this week. I spoke with the movie manager at Angelika Film Center and he said that it is their top-grossing film that they have (there are seven other films showing as well) and the likelihood of extending it another week is very good if not strong. So don't procrastinate fellow Houstonians! Go out there and watch it now. Because I can surely attest that when it comes to DVD, it won't be the same as in viewing it in a large screen theater. Especially the stunning and magnificent views you see of the French Alps surrounding the beautiful monastery during winter and summer! For a quick YouTube viewing on my blog click here. To get the times for 'Into Great Silence' at Angelika Film Center click here. Note: In previous postings I incorrectly state the monastery is in the Swiss Alps, it is not, it is in the French Alps. *Yet to be reviewed by blogger.

6 comments:

bgeorge77 said...

It's the most quotable movie ever! Even more than Napoleon Dynamite.

bgeorge77 said...

I haven't seen it yet, but this will be my review:

"Non-stop edge-of-your-seat white-knuckled SANCTITY!"

Anonymous said...

Ben,

Don't mind if I borrow that!

Tito

Matthew said...

I'm very excited about this movie. There are no airing around me, though. Do you know if there is a copy that is selling the DVD for this movie?

Anonymous said...

Sem. Matthew,

Not yet. I have it queued up on my Netflix lineup and it's showing still not available.

Once I find out that it's available I'll let you know!

Tito

It starts here in KS this weekend and I hope to see it.

Post a Comment

Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed

Blog Archive

A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.

Google Analytics