Monday, May 7, 2007
The Reviews are in!: "Exhilarating Holiness!" --Tito of Custos Fidei "Non-stop edge-of-your-seat white-knuckled SANCTITY!" --Ben of Joey Honey!* That's the words I use to describe this moving film about devout Christians in their journey towards closer union with God. Into Great Silence, a documentary movie of the lives of Carthusian monks in the French Alps monastery of the Grand Charteuse, is a film by Philip Groning. I've posted twice about this move within the last two years and now it has finally arrived here in the United States. I found out it is playing at the Angelika Film Center in downtown Houston and got a group of friends together to view the film after Mass this past Sunday. Everyone had much more rave(-r) reviews than I had. I don't want to build it up too much, but if you love your faith and want to experience another aspect of Christianity, especially in a contemplative environment, I would strongly suggest you go watch this. It is playing until Sunday of this week. I spoke with the movie manager at Angelika Film Center and he said that it is their top-grossing film that they have (there are seven other films showing as well) and the likelihood of extending it another week is very good if not strong. So don't procrastinate fellow Houstonians! Go out there and watch it now. Because I can surely attest that when it comes to DVD, it won't be the same as in viewing it in a large screen theater. Especially the stunning and magnificent views you see of the French Alps surrounding the beautiful monastery during winter and summer! For a quick YouTube viewing on my blog click here. To get the times for 'Into Great Silence' at Angelika Film Center click here. Note: In previous postings I incorrectly state the monastery is in the Swiss Alps, it is not, it is in the French Alps. *Yet to be reviewed by blogger.
Tags:Angelika Film Center,Carthusian,Catholicism,christianity,contemplative,French Alps,Houston,Into Great Silence,Jesus,monastery,monks,Philip Groning
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 31, 2007 A.D.
- Back from Hawaii, Blogging, and CF's New Look
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 29, 2007 A.D.
- Poll: American Muslims reject extremes
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 22, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, May 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, May 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, May 18, 2007 A.D.
- Light Blogging Next Week
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 17, 2007 A.D.
- Military Chaplains
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 16, 2007 A.D.
- CF Cosmetic Changes
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, May 14, 2007 A.D.
- Milestone: 1000th Posting!
- Poland: The Last Bastion
- Catholic News-Sunday, May 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, May 12, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, May 11, 2007 A.D.
- Richard Rich
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 10, 2007 A.D.
- Bayeux Tapestry
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 8, 2007 A.D.
- Tito and Firefox 2.0
- Into Great Silence, Now Playing in Houston
- La Victoire est en nous!-France slightly slows its...
- Joseph Smith vs. Fidei Defensor
- College Survey
- Tito and Internet Explorer 7.0
- About Bill Cork
- Radix malorum est cupiditas
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 3, 2007 A.D.
- Do you like hospitals, universities, the calender,...
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 2, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 1, 2007 A.D.
- ▼ May (38)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation