Nowadays, chaplains almost always come as loaners from various dioceses. They hit the seminaries hard, speaking to young men and asking them to consider candidacy. And that itself can be a chore, since it requires permission from your bishop.
I can't speak to any one religious order providing a steady supply, but I would be highly doubtful of any doing so, given the current numbers problem in most orders.
I don't think there are any orders that would absolutely forbid it, outside of the fact that it just isn't what the order does persay. Which is the situation with almost every order :). I know a couple former Jesuits chaplains, however.
I also don't believe the service draws many vocations from the inside, though I know it happens (I've met exactly one guy, of the many I know in seminary who currently have a commission). One of the 'strings' involved is that you have to have three years as a priest outside of the military before you can go on full-time active duty.
If anyone's actually interested, the way to do it is to approach the vocation director in your diocese and explain that you feel called to serve in the military. If you state it all out front and seriously feel called to it, most bishops will keep open to the possibility of releasing you when the time comes.
However, there are no guarantees. That's why every Mass on base I've ever been to includes a petition for bishops to release priests to chaplaincy.
Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed
Personal News Links
Houston Catholic Schools
Houston Catholic Links
- Mass Times for Galveston-Houston
- Knights of Columbus of Texas
- Archdiocese Office of Vocations
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts
- Life Advocates
- Pope John Paul II FORUM
- Opus Dei - Chaucer Center
- Fullnes of Truth
- Paradisus Dei
- Galveston-Houston Archdiocese
- Houston Coalition for Life
- Catholic Counseling & Psychotherapy
- Fidelis Graphics
Houston Catholic Blogs
Houston Secular Links
Catholic News Aggregators
Catholic Online Bibles
Anglican Ordinariate Blogs
- ► 2011 (17)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (100)
- ► 2008 (258)
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 31, 2007 A.D.
- Back from Hawaii, Blogging, and CF's New Look
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 30, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 29, 2007 A.D.
- Poll: American Muslims reject extremes
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 23, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 22, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, May 21, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, May 19, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, May 18, 2007 A.D.
- Light Blogging Next Week
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 17, 2007 A.D.
- Military Chaplains
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 16, 2007 A.D.
- CF Cosmetic Changes
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 15, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Monday, May 14, 2007 A.D.
- Milestone: 1000th Posting!
- Poland: The Last Bastion
- Catholic News-Sunday, May 13, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Saturday, May 12, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Friday, May 11, 2007 A.D.
- Richard Rich
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 10, 2007 A.D.
- Bayeux Tapestry
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 8, 2007 A.D.
- Tito and Firefox 2.0
- Into Great Silence, Now Playing in Houston
- La Victoire est en nous!-France slightly slows its...
- Joseph Smith vs. Fidei Defensor
- College Survey
- Tito and Internet Explorer 7.0
- About Bill Cork
- Radix malorum est cupiditas
- Catholic News-Thursday, May 3, 2007 A.D.
- Do you like hospitals, universities, the calender,...
- Catholic News-Wednesday, May 2, 2007 A.D.
- Catholic News-Tuesday, May 1, 2007 A.D.
- ▼ May (38)
- ► 2006 (546)
Books I Recommend
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas À Kempis
- Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam by Pope Benedict XVI & Marcello Pera; Forward by George Weigel, Translated by Michael F. Moore
- Triumph - The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, a 2000 Year History by H.W. Crocker, III
- Witness To Hope, The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel
- Uncommon Faith by John F. Coverdale
- Holy Bible
- A History of Christendom Vols. 1, 2, & 4 by Warren H. Carroll
- Understanding Medjugorje: Heavenly Visions or Religious Illusion? by Donal Anthony Foley
- The Courage to be Catholic by George Weigel
- God's Choice by George Weigel
- Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington
- Fr. Tim Finigan
- Richard Collins
- Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson
- Father Philip Neri Powell, OP
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Thomas Peters
- Acts of the Apostasy
- DarwinCatholic - ΙΧΘΥƩ
- Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- The Curt Jester by Jeff Miller
- The New Liturgical Movement
- Catholic World Report
- Monsignor Charles Pope
- Creative Minority Report
- Mark Shea
- Catholic Blog Directory
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- L.A. Catholic
- Quotes for You
- WI Catholic Musings
- Man with Black Hat
- A Catholic Life
- Adriennes Catholic Corner
- Reflections of a Paralytic
- The Crescat
- Jean Heimann's Catholic Fire
- Dale Price
Catholic Media Links
- Catechism of the Cthlc Church
- Catholics Come Home
- The Holy See - The Vatican
- Courage, SSA apostolate
- St. Paul Cntr: Biblical Theology
- Compendium of the C.C.C.
- Catholic Store Finder
- Institute of Christ the King
- Latin Mass Tutorial
- Musica Sacra
- Clear Creek Monastery
- Nat'l Black Catholic Congress
- Catholic Answers
- Canon Law with Dr. Ed Peters
- Catholic Desktops
- Pope Benedict XVI Fan Club
- Opus Dei
- The Saint Joseph Foundation