Thursday, June 15, 2006

Random Thoughts on Softball and a Tucson Bishop

So I've just finished visiting Veritas Catholic bookstore and walked over to Jake's Philly Steaks for a chicken Philly steak and soda pop and got into an excellent conversation with a philosophy student/waiter/aspiring writer about life and religion. Well he is of the more liberal variety, though he voted for Bush (unique here in Texas), and I was able to plant some seeds of doubt concerning his views on Christianity, specifically Catholicism. He's a raised nominal Episcopalian but is now what I would say an agnostic with somewhat strong moral values. He believes that the Slippery Slope predicament we are facing as a nation with Roe v. Wade and the advent of homosexual marriage is false. So I asked him what is the consenting age for a child entering a physical relationship with a grown man and he fell into 'relativism'. He didn't answer my question and is still figuring out whether that will be a consequence of homosexual marriage. Anyways, I know I made an impression so hopefully he is on the road to recovery. My alma mater, the University of Arizona, won the Women's College World Series by sweeping Northwestern 2 games to none. Which brings me to my next topic emanating from my old college town of Tucson, Arizona. Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas (Tucson, Arizona) seems to has lost his voice, nerve, and Catholicism when he allowed pro-choice politicians such as Arizona Governor Napolitano at a political rally staged in a hall of a Knights of Columbus chapter. Kelly Copeland, Director of the Holy Family Society of Tucson, had this to say:
"In open departure from official doctrine, Bishop Kicanas has preached that the fight against poverty -- not abortion as Pope John Paul II taught -- as 'first and foremost' among moral duties; honored radical pro-homosexual marriage activists such as Rep. Jim Kolbe with glowing and fond words;"
Is that sick or what? I pray that Archbishop DiNardo (Galveston-Houston) doesn't spring a surprise such as the above forementioned. I came across this from The Lair Of The Catholic Caveman and was simply flabbergasted. On the week that the USCCB is meeting on top of that! When will these bishops fall into line with the Vatican? Is the virtue of obedience an abomination to these men? I wonder what Matt at Mattsapundit, a local Houstonian who loooves the Knights of Columbus, has to say about a fellow chapter being used for un-Catholic activities that goes against the formation of all Knights? One more random thought of the day... Today is the proclamation of the Edict of Milan! Where it was made illegal to persecute Christians. For more on this posting by Vir Spaluncae Catholicus of The Lair Of The Catholic Caveman click here. For the Holy Family Society press release and home click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Get my CVSTOS FIDEI blog posts feed

Blog Archive

A highly modified template. Powered by Blogger.

Google Analytics